The year 2021 brings forth a new school at Sunway University – the School of Medical and Life Sciences (SMLS). It combines the former School of Health and Medical Sciences (SHMS) with two departments and two research centres from the former School of Science and Technology (now renamed School of Engineering and Technology).
The school is led by the Dean, Prof Abhi Veerakumarasivam, who is supported by three Associate Deans: Dr Chew Jactty (Teaching and Learning), Prof Gopalasamy Reuben Clements (Research) and Prof Alvin Ng Lai Oon (International). SMLS is composed of five departments and three research centres:
- Department of Allied Health (HOD: Prof Dr Abhi Veerakumarasivam)
- Department of Biological Sciences (HOD: Assoc Prof Dr Tommy Tong Yuh Koon)
- Department of Medical Sciences (HOD: Prof Datin Dr Chia Yook Chin)
- Department of Nursing (HOD: Prof Dr Khatijah Lim Abdullah)
- Department of Psychology (HOD: Assoc Prof Dr Lin Mei-Hua)
- Aging Health and Well-being Research Centre: (Head: Assoc Prof Dr Yong Min Hooi)
- Center for Vaccine and Virus Research (Head: Prof Dr Poh Chit Laa)
- Research Centre for Crystalline Materials: (Head: Prof Dr Edward Tiekink)
The administration of the school is headed by School Manager, Ms Wan Noorazila Wan Othman, who is well-trained in quality assurance, having been an auditor at the Academic Standards and Quality Office. She is supported by Ms Lee Su Mei (Postgraduate Programmes) and Ms Hani Zalehan Zakaria (Undergraduate Programmes).
Prof Abhi affirmed, “The establishment of the School of Medical and Life Sciences is Sunway University's commitment towards producing outstanding research and teaching that increase our understanding of the nature of life, drive equitable and optimal health outcomes, and nurture future leaders who will guide us to a healthier and more humane world.” Join us as we embark on a journey towards greater heights in medical and life sciences for the benefit of our society!