Postgraduate Diploma In Primary Care For Elderly
About The Programme
The programme aims to provide graduates with advanced knowledge and skills in Geriatric Medicine to deal with the increase in global population aging and increased complexity in the field of medicine. This program will contribute to developing competent and skilled medical practitioners who have a caring and holistic approach in managing older patients.
1 Year (Full time)
2 Years (Part time)
- Primary Care Geriatrics
- Researcher in Elderly Care
- Licensee for Nursing Home
- Analyst for Primary Care Geriatrics
- Advisor for pharmaceuticals / nutritional products for elderly
- Track to specialist training
- Educators for allied healthcare and carers of elderly
In collaboration with the MSGM (Malaysian Society of Geriatric Medicine)
The programme consists of core modules followed by an elective module. Candidates are required to take all core modules and select one out of the three elective modules offered.
- Fundamentals of Geriatric Medicine
- General Medical Condition in Older Persons: Cardiovascular and Respiratory Diseases
- Communication, Counselling and Cognitive Spectrum Disorders, Legal and Ethical Aspects of Ageing
- General Medical Condition in Older Persons: Metabolic Renal and Musculoskeletal Diseases
- Preventive Health, Rehabilitation and Integrated Care of the Older Person
- Postural Instability and Falls
- General Medical Condition in Older Persons: Nervous, Endocrine, Gastroenterology and Genitourinary Diseases
- Psychology and Ageing
- Nutrition and Oral Health in the Older Person
- Death and Dying in Older Person
- At least 1 year of post housemanship experience
- Minimum 6-months direct patient care and/or in clinical medicine
- Registered Malaysia Medical Council (MMC) members or equivalent
Mode of Delivery
- Work Based Learning
- Clinical Attachments
- Online & Blended Learning
- The duration for each module is 6 weeks.
- Every week there is a live stream of 4 hours.
- Clinical attachment is 3 days every 6 weeks.
- Weekend Workshops and face to face learning for 2 days every 3 months.
- Candidates can download the application form at https://university.sunway.edu.my/apply.
- Candidates can email to email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org the scanned copy of the application form and academic transcripts to enable us to gauge eligibility to enroll for this programme. We will issue a conditional offer – subject to verification of original documents.
- You are required to bring and submit the certified true copy during orientation to the Registry. If the applicant has submitted their certified true copy of documents and met the entry requirement, an offer without conditions will be issued.
- All application forms are to be attached with the following documents:
- Sunway University Postgraduate application form
- A photocopy of NRIC (applicable for Malaysian applicant) OR
- Photocopy of full set Passport including hardcover (applicable for International applicant)
- One passport size photo (for Student ID Card)
- A detailed and updated CV
- Copy of certified MBBS/MD/Medical Academic qualifications/results – certificates & complete transcripts
- Copy of certified Malaysian Medical Council (MMC) (applicable for Malaysian applicant); OR
- Copy of certified Medical Council Licensing Board (of your country or country/state where you are practicing) certificate and number
- Evidence/record of at least 1 year working experience post-housemanship
- Evidence/record of current place of practice
- Copy of certified completion certificate of other relevant courses
- Evidence of English Proficiency: Cambridge ‘O’-Level with grade C or above / IELTS score of 6.5 or above. Most candidates who completed their undergraduate studies in Malaysia will have met the English language requirement through having successfully completed SPM English language.
Application for Full Scholarship
- Ministry of Health Doctors (2 applicants)
- International Student (2 applicants)
Please submit the following supporting documents for scholarship application.
- 2 x Referees report
- Copy of Service record
- Copy of certified SPM/IGCSE certificate and transcript
- Copy of certified STPM/A-Level/IB/Matriculation/Foundation certificate and transcripts where relevant
Minimum payment of RM700 (Enrolment Fee) or full payment (For those who only made payment for enrolment fee, balance of fees will be have to be paid before or on the orientation day)
Payment can be made online via https://epayment.sunway.edu.my