Sunway University Young Chef Scholarship
Offered in recognition of Team Malaysia’s win at the Coupe du Monde de la Patisserie 2019 and grooming talents in the culinary field.
Diploma in Culinary Arts*
*with progression to:-
- Bsc (Hons) in Culinary Management
(subject to terms & conditions)
Value of Scholarship
- Full tuition fee
- Other general fees (excluding refundable deposit)
- Malaysian & International individuals aged between 17 – 25 years old
- Have not been through any formal culinary courses
- Meets minimum entry requirements of programme
- SPM / SPMV / O-Level: Pass with minimum 3 credits /
- UEC: Pass with minimum 3 Grade Bs
- English Language Requirement: Sunway Intensive English Programme (IEP) Level 3 or IELTS 5.0 or equivalent
- Other Qualifications: Any other qualifications will be considered on a case-to-case basis
- All applicants are required submit an essay based on the shortlisting criteria as stated below.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be called for the Sunway University Young Chef Cook-Off
- All shortlisted applicants must attend the Cook-Off session as specified by Sunway University
The shortlisting for the Sunway University Young Chef Cook-Off shall be based on the submission of essay below:
- Title ‘Why should I be selected as a Sunway University Young Chef?’
- The essay must not be more than 200 words
- The essay must be submitted together with this Application Form
1 July 2019
Terms and Conditions
- The successful recipient will be selected through the Sunway University Young Chef Cook-Off. Decision made by the Panel of Judges is final.
- The award of a scholarship takes the form of a reduction in the total fee payable (excluding the refundable deposit); it is not a cash award.
- The successful recipient shall be allowed to continue on to the BSc (Hons) in Culinary Management undergraduate programme offered at Sunway University subject to meeting the entry requirements of the course.
- In the event that the recipient withdraws from the programme, is suspended or terminated by the Sunway University at any point in time, before the completion of the programme, the scholarship shall be automatically terminated. However, should the recipient withdraw from the programme due to medical reasons, his/ her scholarship may be retained, subject to the absolute discretion of Sunway University, and only after the recipient has provided adequate supporting medical documents acceptable to Sunway University.
- Should such withdrawal, termination or suspension happen, Sunway University/ Sunway College reserves the right to claim for the recovery of the fees due, which are calculated on a pro rata basis. This is based on the valuable benefit received.
- Recipient’s academic performance shall be reviewed on a yearly basis. Recipient shall pass all subjects at first attempt and maintain a minimum of 60% average in academic grades in order to continue receiving the scholarship.
- Recipient is required to submit a copy of the progress report to the Scholarship Unit in order to process the continuity of scholarship.
- Recipient shall be required to bear all the costs for re-sitting/ repeating the exam(s), i.e: resource fees, tuition fees, examination fees and general fees as and when required by Sunway University if the recipient failed any of the subjects/modules.
- Should the recipient be in acceptance of any other scholarship of any amount whatsoever, the scholarship will automatically be terminated. The Sunway University/ Sunway College reserves the right to claim for the recovery of the fees due, which are calculated on a pro rata basis. This is based on the valuable benefit received.
- Recipient of the award is required to comply with all standard Sunway University course regulations.
- Recipient shall be involved in the organising and supporting the School of Hospitality’s events/ activities as well as other institutional level initiatives as/when required. The Sunway University reserves the right to alter, add or delete any of the terms and conditions and the scholarship scheme at any point in times as and when the Sunway University deems necessary.
- Noncompliance to any of the terms and conditions related to the relevant scholarship would amount to a breach of contract.
- In the event of a dispute on the eligibility for the scholarship the decision made by the Scholarship Committee is final.
How to Apply
Please download the Application Form here