As one of the entities in the Sunway Education Group, Sunway University has grown into a leading brand name in Malaysia’s higher education sector as a high quality private not-for-profit institution.
- The establishment of Sunway University College as an independent degree awarding institution of the Sunway Education Group.
- Sunway University College established a partnership with Lancaster University, UK, through which graduates can receive dual degrees from both institutions.
- First cohort of graduates with dual degrees from both Sunway University College and Lancaster University
- Sunway University College receives a 5-star “excellent” rating in the first official rating system for Malaysian universities and university colleges known as SETARA – the University continues to receive 5-star ratings in all subsequent SETARA exercises.
- The Jeffrey Cheah Foundation is launched, the charitable non-profit body which takes ownership of the Sunway Education institutions including the University; a partnership commences with Le Cordon Bleu granting professional certification to graduates from hospitality programmes.
- Sunway University College is upgraded by the Ministry of Higher Education of Malaysia to full university status and becomes Sunway University; the total number of students passes 2500.
- Establishment of the Jeffrey Cheah Institute on Southeast Asia at Sunway University.
- Official opening of the University’s new 12-storey campus building in Sunway City; Sunway University gains its first international rating as an overall 4-star university by the QS ranking and rating agency with top 5-star ratings for teaching, facilities and employability; the total number of students passes 5000.
- Launch of the Jeffrey Sachs Center on Sustainable Development at Sunway University; First Cambridge-Oxford-Sunway Biomedical Symposium held at the University.
Sunway University gains its first international ranking in the QS Asia University Rankings, placing it in the top 2.5% of universities in Asia; the University becomes one of only eight universities in Malaysia to be awarded the status of Premier Digital Technology Institution of Higher Learning; the total number of enrolled students passes 7000.
- Launch of the University’s academic publishing arm: Sunway University Press.